SAGA council minutes 13 January 2014

From SAGoClubs
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

Minutes of SAGA Council meeting held on Google Talk on 13 January 2014 at 20h00

Background information on various points included in past agendas or on action items wiki page.

  • Present: Steve Kroon, Francois van Niekerk, Paul Steyn, Chris Welsh, John Leuner
  • Absent: Ben Gale

Adoption of minutes of previous meetings

The minutes of the meeting of 7/10/2013 were accepted without objections. Proposed: Francois; Seconded: John

Next meeting

The next meeting was scheduled for 20h00 on 5 May 2014 on Google Hangouts.

Reports on completed items

No queries about the completed items.

Status reports on portfolio responsibilities

President

Chris had nothing to report.

Treasurer

John reported SAGA has bought R10000 worth of Korean go sets to replenish our stock. Our bank account has quite a low balance, so money will need to be obtained from an investment account, which will require getting signatories together. The plan is to have the signatories changed at the same time to John Leuner and Andre Connell. Also, all the backlog tax returns have been submitted to SARS. There was no feedback about Andre being made a signatory despite not being on the SAGA council. John also reported our bank fees have significantly increased in 2013 - he will follow up.

Secretary

Steve reported most things are under control, except that the SAGA pages on the SAGoClubs website need maintenance. Chris and Francois indicated they'd be willing to help out getting things up to date again.

Membership secretary

Paul reported new memberships for 2014 are trickling in, but we expect more uptake once club meetings resume for the year. Credit points for 2013 are waiting on some information.

Tournaments

Francois reported first quarter internet has been announced and some people have signed up. The year's Go calendar is his next focus, hopefully to be sent in the course of the next week. Steve requested that the second quarter internet tournament be held late April. John requested that he suggest a date for the Joburg Open, and the addition of a Joburg blitz to the calendar. No progress with trophy engraving reported.

Other

John Leuner reported he had lost the P.O. Box key. A new key has been bought, and John has recently collected the post.

Unresolved items from previous meetings

No. 1208: SAGA's strategy and financial planning

Chris reported that he had made no more progress.

No. 509: Maintenance of membership list

Paul reported he has moved all the data regarding membership and contact lists off his hard drive and onto Google Docs. There is some duplication, but he would like to keep it this way for a bit, to see how it works in practice. If it does not work well, there are APIs for connecting to Google Docs, so maybe a simple interface can be built using the Google Docs as a database, keeping things easily accessible, but cutting down on duplication of effort (and possible mistakes). It is not clear if the initial work will be justified to obtain a lower-effort long-term system.

No. 909: Soweto initiative

Steve reported he has emailed Ben about liaising with Arnold; Arnold has replied with an email which he has not yet read carefully.

No. 110: African Qualifiers for World Pair Go Championship

Steve reported he sent information on to John earlier in the day, so John has not had time to take further action.

No. 810: Inter-country tournaments

Francois reported there had been no progress on this item. There was some discussion about which countries to approach.

No. 910: Liaison with cultural divisions

Chris reported there had been no progress on this item.

1.11: Letter to European Go Federation

Chris reported he has drafted the letter. There was a discussion about the appropriate format for it. It was agreed to send it as a pdf email attachment.

3.11: Access to bank accounts and investments

As discussed in the treasurer's feedback, the plan is to change the signatories when money is withdrawn from the investment account. John will put the other details in the SAGA shared folder.

5.11: Policy for SA Closed flights

It was agreed we would cover flights for 2014, since this issue has not yet been resolved. Deferred until the completion of agenda item 1208. Chris was reminded of the dependence of this on item 1208.

7.11: Southern Hemisphere representation at SportAccord World Mind Games

Deferred until the completion of agenda item 1.11.

1.12: African Oza floating trophy

Francois reported there had been no progress on this item.

1.13 Selection mechanism for SA Closed participants

Francois reported there had been no progress on this item. He hopes to include this with the 2014 calendar announcement.

3.13: Registering SAGA as an NPO

Steve reported this is waiting on the constitution changes Ben and he are working on.

Other unresolved items (unnumbered)

Liaise with Welile re Soweto Open

Francois reported there had been no progress on this item. Item is to be removed, since it related to the 2013 Soweto Open.

Complete Tournament rules and how-to documents

Francois reported there had been no progress on this item.

Update trophy engraving

Francois reported there had been no progress on this item.

Follow up on the status of Joburg and Pretoria Opens

Francois reported a Joburg Open happened in 2013. Marking this as completed.

Set up a system for co-ordinating bulk orders of luxury equipment and advanced books, and revise the price list, possibly with a greater margin for non-SAGA members

John reported that he intends to follow up on a bulk order once he has access to the investment accounts.

Treasurer to resolve/settle outstanding debtors and creditors in SAGA financial statements

Most of these amounts have now been settled. There are some small outstanding amounts which will be carried on the books for a while.

Resolve Ben's situation and impact on his action items (and re-allocate them)

Steve reported he had emailed Ben to find out situation 2 September. Ben has replied, indicating he is willing to carry on on the council if everyone is happy. No objections were raised at the council meeting, so marking this item resolved.

Make a plan for managing access to SAGA shared Google Drive folder; also, allocate responsibility for access maintenance

Steve reported that we are waiting for Paul and David to transfer ownership of various documents - Paul transferred ownership during the meeting; maintaining access to the appropriate people has been assigned to the role of secretary.

New items

5.13 Funding for Soweto Go

Steve reported there has been no update from Ben.

6.13 Proposed constitution change from Rory Shea

This proposal has been scheduled to be considered at the AGM.

Matters arising

News

Paul reported:

He has been invited to dinner with the Korean ambassador in Pretoria, due to him and his girlfriend's roles in the Korean cultural day. Hopefully he can discuss sponsorship with him.

Peter Charter passed on news about someone at his gym who has a restaurant(?) next door to the Chinese embassy, where the people from the embassy hang out and play. He's hoping to get to play there a bit. (But he did say he's a little unsure of everything, because the guy's English is a little hard to understand.)

Michael Yang is running a go school at the Chinese school in Cape Town, and would like to start a Facebook page. "I think his school is pretty new, but once it gets some stronger players, we should talk to him about SAGA affiliation, and possible contacts he might have."

Brendon, one of the local intermittent Cape Town players, teaches rhythm at the Cape Town School for the Deaf. Paul suggested he start a Go class, and Brendon put him in touch with the principal, and has since given a few classes. The principal is leaving soon, so we need to liaise more for the coming year. Meanwhile, Paul has some photos from the Deaf School of the kids playing Go there. Once consent for posting the photos has been arranged, he will put them on the Facebook page. John expressed interest in introducing the game to a Deaf School in Joburg.

No action item created.

Korean Baduk Association equipment donation

Ben has organised a donation of go equipment from the Korean Baduk Association for the development of Go in Soweto (or South Africa?) However, we will have to pay customs duty on all the items, which has been addressed to Dave Gale. It was agreed we would refund the customs levies on this equipment to Dave, although Steve recommended liaising with David about the costs before collecting the items, and delaying the bulk luxury order until these costs were known.

Meeting Transcript

Steve Kroon
hello?
John William Leuner
hi Steve7:52 PM
Steve Kroon
anyone else here? doesn't seem like I get messages about people going online and offline?
(I've seen John's reply)
John William Leuner
on the 'people in this hangout page' you can see a green line under people who are present I think
Steve Kroon
ok. but they don't seem to be reading/responding here yet... perhaps I'm too early
Francois van Niekerk
hi
i'm here
Chris Welsh
hi
Steve Kroon changed the topic to SAGA Council Meeting 13 Jan 2014
Steve Kroon
ok, didn't get apologies from paul or ben, so I guess we need to wait a few minutes for them
Francois van Niekerk
link for the agenda so long?
John William Leuner
http://wiki.sagoclubs.co.za/index.php?title=SAGA_council_agenda_13_January_2014
Steve Kroon
thanks john
Francois van Niekerk
thanx
Steve Kroon
trying to track down paul's number quick
Paul Steyn
I'm here
Steve Kroon
ah, ok
didn't realize you'd arrived
Paul Steyn
just got in
Steve Kroon
guess we'll assume ben can't make it then
if you have feedback for me about the email sent about ben, please message me outside this chat
ok, we have a quorum, and no apologies
any feedback on the previous meeting minutes?
Francois van Niekerk
none here
i propose we accept them
Steve Kroon
anyone second?
John William Leuner
Yes
Steve Kroon
ok.
As for the next meeting: it should be after the 2Q inet tourney, and we only need 3/year now, so it could be in June as well.
But I suggest we fix 5 May for now, and try reschedule if it doesn't suit any new council members (I doubt there will be any?)
Francois van Niekerk
yay, less meetings \o/
Steve Kroon
any objections?
John William Leuner
no objections
Francois van Niekerk
no objections
Paul Steyn
none here
Steve Kroon
any queries about the completed items?
Notably, thanks to John for resolving the tax returns!
Paul Steyn
Yeah, that must have been a biggie. Thanks John
Steve Kroon
[Francois - can you please save and send a transcript after the meeting?]
Francois van Niekerk
will do
Steve Kroon
ok, portfolio reports: chris (president)?
Chris Welsh
Yes, thanks again, John
John William Leuner
My pleasure
Chris Welsh
I have nothing prepared to specifically report on
Steve Kroon
ok
treasurer? john
John William Leuner
So as I mentioned before
I bought some Korean sets
I think about R10 000 worth
to replenish our stock
Unfortunately our main bank account is quite low on cash
So we'll have to get some money out of an investment account
and for that I need to arrange to get the signatories together
Paul Edwards and Sakkie Buys
and then me and Andre to become new signatories
Steve Kroon
can I suggest getting the signatories changed.
ok, cool
John William Leuner
Other than doing the SARS tax returns I have don't have anything else to report
Steve Kroon
(anyone with an issue about andre also being a signatory despite not being on the council - please say now, or priv msg me, otherwise I'm assuming we're happy with it)
Francois van Niekerk
seems reasonable, he is still quite involved
Paul Steyn
no issue, but why Andre? Not that I can think of anybody better
Steve Kroon
thanks, John.  As secretary, I have nothing notable to report.
Paul Steyn
I guess just because we need two ?
John William Leuner
Well we need two
Paul Steyn
 right
John William Leuner
and Andre has just been involved with SAGA for so long
and will probably be a council member again
Steve Kroon
Andre has been on the council a while, and is one of the leading organizers/promoters of Go in Gauteng at the moments.  And we need at least two, I think.
mem sec? (Paul?)
Chris Welsh
wasn't andre planning emigration?
Steve Kroon
considered, but I understand they've decided against
John William Leuner
I'm not aware of anything
Paul Steyn
MemSec report:
* Memberships trickling in; I expect that to change as clubs resume, though
* Credit points currently in the works, just waiting on some stuff, but they should be out soon
* Nothing much else to report
Steve Kroon
cool, and thanks for having something ready to cut and paste   [it seems]
Paul Steyn
Various long term stuff still long term...
Francois van Niekerk
Paul: will respond to your email for credit point stuff by tomorrow probably
Paul Steyn
 always thinking ahead
@Francois: cool
Steve Kroon
tourneys: (francois)
Francois van Niekerk
not much to report. 1q inet was announced and a few ppl have signed up. major thing that needs to happen soon is the 2014 calendar
i plan to send out the calendar this week
Steve Kroon
please ensure 2Q inet is late in april  
John William Leuner
right, and it would help us if you can suggest a date for a Joburg Open
Andre also suggested a blitz tourney soon 
Francois van Niekerk
sure thing, i will suggest a date for all the club tournaments
should i add a joburg blitz to the calendar? i.e. propose a date?
Steve Kroon
any progress with trophy engraving stuff?
John William Leuner
you can suggest one
Francois van Niekerk
no progress with trophies
John William Leuner
sometimes we have 'club' blitz tournies
on a club night
and other times on the weekend
Francois van Niekerk
ok
John William Leuner
usually saturday morning
Steve Kroon
ok: "other" - john, have you been checking the p.o. box on occasion?
John William Leuner
Ok, so I discovered that I lost the key
Steve Kroon
andre's arranging one for Feb, I believe
John William Leuner
So I went there and had to pay for a new key
but I have all the post now, and a new key
Steve Kroon
ok - anything important in the post?
John William Leuner
No just financial statements
Maybe this is not related
but I saw that our bank fees are up a lot this year
so it looks like we were bumped to a different account or something
Steve Kroon
might be because our balance is low?
John William Leuner
it could be
Steve Kroon
I assume you'll follow up on this?
John William Leuner
Yes
ALthough if anyone knows nedbank accounts and can advise I would appreciate it
Steve Kroon
i guess the best is to call their contact centre?
(i.e. can't advise   )
John William Leuner
Ok, I'll work up the courage
Chris Welsh
what do you mean, "knows nedbank", john?
Steve Kroon
heh.
John William Leuner
I mean, knows how navigate the thicket of products for that bank
Chris Welsh
well, this will be a special account, anyway, right? so our consumer "expertise" will mean nothing
John William Leuner
maybe
that's the kind of stuff I'm not good at
and the reason why I have a capitec account
Francois van Niekerk
my only experience is that banks have more leeway than they let on, pushing can help
Steve Kroon
ok, John, are you happy to move on? (further discussion by email, perhaps?)
John William Leuner
yep
Steve Kroon
ok, unresolved items
Paul Steyn
OT: Oh, should mention, one of the new members from Pretoria mentioned that although he doesn't have much free time, if we need he'll assist with stuff if he can. He has a lot of event planning / management experience, he says. Maybe if you're struggling to organise a Jo'burg open again, he can help get it going?
Steve Kroon
1208: chris?
@Paul: name?
Chris Welsh
1208: no update
Steve Kroon
509: Paul
Paul Steyn
Hendrik de Ridder
John William Leuner
I will probably meet him this week
Steve Kroon
John: I guess you and Andre should meet him and see how he can get involved?
cool
John William Leuner
He's 10k already!
Francois van Niekerk
BTW, Hendrik signed up for the inet tourney
Steve Kroon
cool
John William Leuner
I would enter him at his KGS rank
Steve Kroon
hopefully there are some other people around his rank entering
Paul Steyn
Well, Google Docs is now what I use for membership and contact lists. There are some problems with this approach, mostly duplication, but I've had a look, and there are APIs for connecting to Google Docs, so maybe I can build a simple interface that will use the Google Docs as db, keeping things easily accessible, but cutting down on my duplication of effort (and possible mistakes)
Francois van Niekerk
we will see as entries roll in
Paul Steyn
But it's still long term at the moment.
John William Leuner
It's difficult to spend effort on stuff we don't use too often
Steve Kroon
ok, but one needs to make plans to convert long term to medium term...
Paul Steyn
I need to investigate more, and see how much effort is involved, and decide how well the current system works first.
Steve Kroon
ok, cool
Paul Steyn
I've gotten everything off my drive and on to Google Docs, which is a start
Steve Kroon
ok, cool
Paul Steyn
And I would like to keep it this way for a bit, to see how it works in practice
Steve Kroon
909: I've emailed Ben, waiting to hear if he'll liaise with Arnold.  Arnold's replied, but I haven't read it carefully yet.
Paul Steyn
But I can see at least some gain from a system that cuts down on my effort, I just don't know if it will be enough to justify the initial work
Steve Kroon
makes sense keeping it as is, but already you have duplication of member details each year...
Paul Steyn
exactly, plus credit points is another duplication, so something that ties in to that and at least double checks for me would be nice...
Steve Kroon
110: I've sent info to John today, so I doubt he can have done anything further?
John William Leuner
Yes I'll have to look at that
Steve Kroon
I think in the email I forwarded was an email from Chris you can use as a base to work from
(that he sent to victor and carle)
810: francois?
[ps: general comment - good to see more activity up in joburg/pretoria lately]
Francois van Niekerk
no progress on 810 (or any of my action items unfortunately)
Chris Welsh
on 810: are there any candidate countries we can think of approaching. I have one or two from my wagc trip, and steve, perhaps you think of a couple from your trip to Korea?
We can really approach any country, but ones with similar populations to ours would be preferable?
Steve Kroon
i suspect victor suggested some, but if victor is willing to lead, identifying countries shouldn't be too difficult
Chris Welsh
well, it it? victor is a drawcard, but its a bit thin below that  
Francois van Niekerk
i can't recall all the details, but i believe victor planned to lead the effort
Chris Welsh
so approaching a france or netherlands seems pointless
Steve Kroon
sure, I'd say we can scan at around 25-35 on the typical KPMC/WAGC results
Chris Welsh
well, i think with the contacts i made, and hopefully steve made, we can reinvigorate this item
Steve Kroon
victor will likely get an easy win, our next player will likely lose, and then it might be a tossup?
Chris Welsh
not that i networked as such, but for instance, mongolia would be an interesting country to approach
with the aketa link
Steve Kroon
you can look the email up for the details, Francois
indeed
but language and KGS might be an issue for that?
anyway, we can see
Chris Welsh
perhaps, but they have a facebook page
and their president attended teh wagc
anyway
lets move on
Steve Kroon
ok, cool
910: chris?
Chris Welsh
910: nothing to report
Steve Kroon
1.11
also chris
Chris Welsh
1.11 - yes. indeed. well, as you know the letter was drafted, but i haven't actually sent it for rather silly reasons
perhaps you guys can advise
i don't know in what format to send it
just an email?
a word doc?
a pdf?
should it be digitally signed?
Steve Kroon
pdf attachment to an email, I'd suggest
Francois van Niekerk
pdf is much better than a word doc
John William Leuner
yep
Steve Kroon
wouldn't bother with digital signature
Chris Welsh
ok, so attachment is unanimous
Paul Steyn
OT: Hrm, talking of cultural liason, if I can organise to get there, I should be in Pretoria next Friday, having dinner, and hopefully a game or two of baduk, with the Korean ambassador. I'm hoping this might allow me to discuss sponsorship with them at some point...
agreed with the pdf
Steve Kroon
but including a scan of your signature at the bottom of the pdf is good
Chris Welsh
ok, thanks
steve - that's what i mean
John William Leuner
Paul, you're meeting the ambassador?
Steve Kroon
in that case, I recommend doing so.
Paul Steyn
 Apparently. He's invited us to dinner
Steve Kroon
that's pretty cool
John William Leuner
SAGA?
Francois van Niekerk
saga council is going places
Steve Kroon
i don't think the council has been invited....  
Paul Steyn
This is due to my girlfriend organising that Korean Cultural day at the Waterfront in November. She got invited to dinner. I think I might just be invited as her partner, but they do know I was there with the baduk table, and apparently the ambassador does know how to play, although I'm not sure yet if he will want to...
John William Leuner
oh I see
Steve Kroon
nice.
John William Leuner
well it will be great if we can increase awareness
Paul Steyn
I'm hoping he will, and that I can swing the conversation around to sponsorship at some point, if not then at some later date
Steve Kroon
@Paul: be sure to mention the club that meets in pretoria
John William Leuner
and joburg too
and we buy our equipment from Korean shops
Steve Kroon
right, back to the agenda. anything else on 1.11, chris?
Paul Steyn
Oh, Peter Charter mentioned being in Durban, and that someone at his gym has a restaurant? next door to the Chinese embassy, and the people from there often hang out at his place and play. He's hoping to get to play there a bit, but he did say he's a little unsure of everything, because the guy's english is a little hard to understand
Chris Welsh
steve, no
Paul Steyn
I'm hoping to get somewhere on all these fronts, so I'll just see how it goes. Just FYI
John William Leuner
it's all good news
Steve Kroon
@Paul: thanks for the updates, and cool for keeping your eye on all these things.  Interested to hear how you were in touch with Peter Charter? (would be great to see activity in durban again!)
3.11: john?
Paul Steyn
His membership email
Steve Kroon
ah, i see
John William Leuner
3.11 goes with the investment account access
What is the link for the google doc shared folder?
Steve Kroon
drive.google.com
John William Leuner
I'll put the details for 3.11 in there
Steve Kroon
should have a "shared with me" folder
and it should be in there
John William Leuner
Is the treasurer account on the access list?
Steve Kroon
create a new document for information on our accounts
john.leuner@gmail is on the access list
John William Leuner
ok
Steve Kroon
you can create the document, then edit the sharing and make the SAGA secretary the owner (secretary@saga.sagoclubs.co.za)
John William Leuner
ok
Steve Kroon
5.11: this depends on 1208, but without progress on 1208, we need to make a decision ASAP at least for 2014
john, can we cover for another year with the increased subs?
John William Leuner
you mean without an increase this year?
yes I think it's fine
Steve Kroon
ok, so for 2014 we'll cover it, and future years we'll resolve when 1208 is sorted. agreed (this is kind of a vote, so please everyone say yay or nay)
John William Leuner
yes
Steve Kroon
(again assuming victor uses KGS for CT matches)
Francois van Niekerk
yay
Paul Steyn
yes
Chris Welsh
ok
Steve Kroon
but an obligatory reminder that 1208 should be attended to!
7.11 waiting for 1.11
1.12 no progress from Francois
ditto for 1.13
Francois - this should be fairly urgent by now, though?
Francois van Niekerk
1.13 is pretty urgent
but alas, no progress
Steve Kroon
for example, stellenbosch has not arranged a qualifier for 2014
Chris Welsh
can u give a one sentence reminder?
Francois van Niekerk
hopefully i should have more time to actually do stuff in the next few months
Steve Kroon
we need to tell the clubs they need to organize qualifiers if they want to play in the closed.  We won't make ad hoc selection arrangements again like in 2013.
one word summary ^
sentence, even
John William Leuner
ok
Francois van Niekerk
i want to include this with the 2014 calendar announcement
John William Leuner
but then we need that in the calendar
right
Steve Kroon
ok 3.13 is waiting on the constitution, which has taken most of my and ben's attention the last while
5.13 - no news from Ben, assuming this will get actioned once 3.13 makes progress
6.13: actually we've scheduled this for the AGM now
oh, those last two items were new items from last time, sorry
John William Leuner
ok, so unnumbered items?
Steve Kroon
then unnumbered unresolved items:
Liaise with Welile re Soweto Open - assigned to Francois, but no progress
Tournament rules etc. - no progress from Francois
Trophy engraving: no progress from Francois
Francois van Niekerk
soweto open item can be removed
joburg open happened
Steve Kroon
oh - was that for the 2013 soweto open?
Francois van Niekerk
yip
Steve Kroon
not a 2014 SA closed soweto open qualifier?
John William Leuner
no
I think we'll jsut have one tournament
either in Joburg or Soweto
Francois van Niekerk
2013, but i didn't get any response, so i figure it disappeared due to the joburg open
John William Leuner
effectively it becomes a 'Gauteng open'
Steve Kroon
so we're abandoning the soweto open unless someone there (gauteng/soweto) takes initiative
John William Leuner
yes
Steve Kroon
ok
luxury equipment - Kiseido bulk order: John?
John William Leuner
I have to access to the investment money, then I can move forward with that
Chris Welsh
what is this item, please?
John William Leuner
We sold out all the luxury equipment
(a few years ago)
and I haven't replenished the stock
The last order was about R50 000
to make shipping and customs admin less trouble
Chris Welsh
how luxury is luxury? and is there sufficient demand?
John William Leuner
luxury is moer expensive than a korean set
Chris Welsh
is it $10,000 kaya boards?
John William Leuner
based on Andre's feedback from when we had luxury stock, it sells better than the cheaper sets
haha, no
Chris Welsh
we did get an enquiry for a luxury board on the FB page
a R2,000 board
John William Leuner
oh, I should follow that page
Chris Welsh
ish
but they wanted a floor goban
and i'm not sure R2,000 would have been enough
the page is reasonably successful
it has been credited with helping sell ben's korean initiative
John William Leuner
BTW, the Pretoria guys also have a new page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Go-Igo-Baduk-Weiqi-South-Africa/302923069850437
Brett and Allen post articles from around the web on it
Steve Kroon
it was good you loaded up the photos  
Chris Welsh
the saga page has feeds (for now) from the saga site and the ranka IGF site
yes, that one soweto photo has gotten a ton of likes
with the two girls at the blackboard
its a good photo actually
wish we knew more about the kids in the photo
Steve Kroon
ok, outstanding debtors and creditors: we've resolved all the individuals except two, I think it's a few hundred rand outstanding now
and been shared a lot
Paul Steyn
Michael (the ex chinese groomed for pro who is running a go school at the chinese school here in CT) mentioned he wanted to start an FB page... I think his school is pretty new, but once it gets some stronger players, we should talk to him about SAGA affiliation, and possible contacts he might have
Steve Kroon
michael yang?
Chris Welsh
@steve, good to know about the d/c's
yes, michael
Steve Kroon
the last two we can't actually find, I'm afraid
Paul Steyn
I've got some photos from the Deaf School of the kids. I'm organising consent for posting the photo's, and will get them on the FB page when that's done, though I don't think they're quite as good as the Soweto ones... maybe I can take more, though
Steve Kroon
so I expect we'll just carry them on the books for a while
Paul Steyn
Yeah, Michael Yang
Steve Kroon
Ben's situation - waiting for the end of the meeting, and I should be able to resolve this.
managing access to SAGA shared Google Drive folder: waiting for Paul and David to transfer docs; maintaining access will be the role of the secretary.
Paul Steyn
Ah yes... I'll do that after the meeting
John William Leuner
ok, can I do more matters arising?
Steve Kroon
@Paul: It might be nice if you could put some of this info about other Go activity on the SAGoClubs website: perhaps add to http://www.sagoclubs.co.za/other-clubs/ ?
alternatively a wiki page listing Go activity in SA might be good (there seems to be a fair bit not directly related to SAGA)
right - John: matters arising?
Paul Steyn
What info exactly?
You mean the Westerford and Deaf School ?
Steve Kroon
Peter Charter reports a group meeting next to Chinese embassy; Michael Yang runs a Go school at XXX; school projects piloting at XXX and XXX, etc.
Chris Welsh
sago blog gets cloned to saga fb page
Paul Steyn
Ah, ok... I'll get details from Michael, and ask Peter to confirm, then post
Chris Welsh
so will also appear there
John William Leuner
So Ben has organised a donation of go equipment from the Korean Baduk Association. One of the issues is that we have to pay customs duty on all the items. I assume that SAGA will refund Dave Gale (who is receiving the equipment) for the customs fees.
Steve Kroon
not pages, just posts, I think
do we know how much yeet?
John William Leuner
@Paul it would be great if you can tell me more about the deaf school
Chris Welsh
thats what i meant by blog
John William Leuner
I would love to at least introduce Go to a Johannesburg school for the deaf
Paul Steyn
So should I create a new page for other clubs, or make a couple of informative posts?
Steve Kroon
[@Chris - I'd like to put it somewhere more permanent, for future visitors, than in the timeline of the blog posts/Facebook - so the pages/menu structure or the wiki seems more appropriate]
@John: how much equipment/how much customs do we need to pay?
John William Leuner
We don't know what the customs duties will be
The equipment is coming in a few shipments
Chris Welsh
steve, at the moment its more like news than facts
updates/progress of interest
Steve Kroon
I'd recommend editing it - http://www.sagoclubs.co.za/other-clubs/
well, we can post each item as news, then also store it (or a link to it) on the "other clubs" page?
Paul Steyn
@John: basically Brendon, one of the local intermittent players, teaches rhythm at the school, and suggested I start a go class. He got me in touch with the principal, and I have been a couple of times. I need to liaise with the principle again this year (but she is leaving soon), and see what happens. I'm not sure I can take a full-time class, but without me being full-time, I'm not sure there is anybody else to take it, and it may just fizzle...
Steve Kroon
hmm - hope we can afford the customs - perhaps worth delaying on that Kiseido order at first.
Paul Steyn
Ok, I'll have a look at doing a couple of informative posts, and updating the "other clubs" page with that info as well
Steve Kroon
but i definitely think we have to reimburse David - I vote yay for that
John William Leuner
@paul, right I think the best we can do is just introduce the game, provide support with equipment etc
Steve Kroon
other votes?
John William Leuner
I vote yes
Chris Welsh
absolutely
Francois van Niekerk
vote yay
Paul Steyn
I vote yay, if we can afford it, which I think we probably can, although customs have a habit of pulling figures out of thin air...
Steve Kroon
yeah, that last bit paul says concerns me a little
but anyway, it's unanimous.
any other matters arising
?
Francois van Niekerk
nothing here
John William Leuner
No that's it
Paul Steyn
My girlfriend buys a but from overseas, and we've had some duties at 50% of original value
Steve Kroon
nothing from me
Paul Steyn
*bit
John William Leuner
a butt?
Paul Steyn
nothing else from me
John William Leuner
We'll have to see what the amounts are
Paul Steyn
 an interesting purchase, and well worth the cost...
Steve Kroon
@John: I recommend liaising with David, and checking the amounts are reasonable before he fetches them
John William Leuner
ok
Steve Kroon
chris - anything more from you?
Chris Welsh
no
Steve Kroon
ok, then, it's been a pleasure serving with you...
Paul Steyn
ok, GDocs ownership transferred  
Steve Kroon
I will probably be at the next meeting for any handover issues, but I won't be standing for the council again this year.
thx, paul
Francois van Niekerk
thanx for all your work steve
John William Leuner
Will we choose new people at the AGM?
Paul Steyn
Awww, you're leaving? Who could we ever get to replace you?
John William Leuner
Steve, you've worked harder than any of us for SAGA. Thank you for that
Chris Welsh
tough act to follow indeed
Steve Kroon
@John: will need to resolve by email once constitution is entirely final, but we tecnicaly don't need more elected members
so there shouldn't be an election.  You can still co-opt, though.
Paul Steyn
Plus, there's so much you know... will you still be maintaining the sagoclubs website, and the games list, and all that stuff?
Steve Kroon
thanks for the good words, guys.  I'll still be involved with the website, ranking system, etc. (too difficult to pass that on :P)
right - have a good evening further - see you all on email soon  
John William Leuner
So I'm a bit confused about the process
Paul Steyn
Well, three cheers for Steve
Many thanks for the years of hard work
John William Leuner
do  people need to make themselves available for council positions?
Francois van Niekerk
good night all
John William Leuner
Night guys
Steve Kroon
@john - will resolve by email, but most of you have terms that don't expire this year.  Mine does
John William Leuner
ok
Paul Steyn
Ok, night all
Steve Kroon
and so does Francois's
that will leave 4 elected members, as required by council
you can try co-opt Francois to continue, but that doesn't have to be resolved at/before the AGM
John William Leuner
alright
Francois van Niekerk
i wasn't aware my term was ending
Steve Kroon
and co-opting won't nencessarily have to be for a term of 3 years
Francois van Niekerk
so i guess i'm happy to stay on, but i will give it some thought
Steve Kroon
(a nice side-effect is co-opting people to finish off items they put off while someone else takes over their core portfolio  
right, I'm off - cheers!
francois: please remember to send transcript
Francois van Niekerk
transcript emailed
cheers
Steve Kroon
ta
Paul Steyn
ciao