President report 2016
SAGA Council Matters
The official NPO documentation confirming our certification was collected. Copies have been uploaded to the sagoclubs website
Outreach and cultural events
A letter of introduction was sent to general contact emails found on the embassy websites of Japan, China and Korea. I have yet to receive a reply from any of these. However, following Japan day at Root 44 near Stellenbosch I did get to meet Yasushi Naito of the Cape Town Japanese consulate. He left me his details, giving us at least one more direct contact.
A number of outreach events were held. We were present again at events hosted by the Korean and Japanese communities. Additionally, an attempt was made to branch out into the "Con" culture and hopefully attract a wider audience. Flyers went flying -- so to speak -- at many of these. Return interest is proving more difficult.
- Promoting Go at the Japan Day, held at Root 44 market near Stellenbosch (5 March 2016). This in turn led to a newspaper article in the Cape Times by Dawn Kennedy
- Promoting Go at UCON, UCT main campus (5 December 2015)
- Promoting Go at the Korean festival at the Waterfront (28 November 2015)
- Promoting Go at the Japanese Spring Festival of the Johannesburg Japanese School (10 October 2015)
- Promoting Go at StelCon, Stellenbosch University main campus (29 August 2015)
School outreach has unfortunately been dormant due to a lack of members with enough free time
The success of AlphaGo generated a fair amount of interest, reflected by a rapid sale of remaining stock.