Organizing the Tournament
The main tasks that need to be handled are as follows, ideally assigned to different people, but of course portfolios can be combined
- Finding a suitable B/B for the international and invited representatives, preferably near the tournament venue. If not, reliable transport will need to be arranged
- Liaising with local club members as to who will be able to provide accommodation
- Dealing with inquiries from non-local players about accommodation, and hopefully pairing them with people who can provide accommodation
- Finding accommodation for any sponsored guests (if required)
- Arranging transport to and from the airport for all invited or sponsored guests
- Arranging transport for all invited and sponsored guests to the tournament venue, if applicable
- Arranging site-seeing and entertainment for the guests
- Find a suitable venue
- Further questions to ask
- Do they have parking?
- Do they have internet access?
- How early is access available in the morning?
- Is access available the evening before the tournament?
- How secure is it (can equipment be left overnight)?
- What breakfast/coffee facilities are available?
- What snack/drink facilities are available?
- What lunch facilities are available?
- Do they have sufficient tables and chairs?
- Will they be able to prepare the tables and chairs?
- Do they have suitable power points?
- Further questions to ask
- Organize catering
- Can the venue cater?
- Send out a press release to local press. See a Sample Press Release
- Liaise with the sponsors and the other organizers to create a suitable budget
- Maintain the budget as circumstances change
- Disburse payments upon receipts of invoices
- Invitations need to be sent to the relevant African bodies inviting them to send a representative
- Medals and Trophies
- The trophies need to have the current holders engraved
- The trophies need to be sent the tournament organizer or tournament director
- The trophies need to be polished
- Medals need to be ordered - see the Oza and SA Open Medal List for a list of what needs to be made
- Setup a suitable web page about the website - this is the 2008 tournament page
- You will need to determine the entry fees
- You will need to establish the application SAGA membership costs
- email all the go groups about the tournament
- track the registration information
- Game recorder(s) need to found - include them in the budget
- Laptop(s) need to be arranged - both for the admin and the game recording
- Internet access needs to be arranged
- Printer(s) and suitable cables need to be arranged
- Ensure the printer and laptop are compatible
- Extension leads and double adapters need to be arranged
- If using a cellphone for internet access, ensure there is a charger available
- Ensure the cellphone leads are available, or if bluetooth is used, that the laptop can support bluetooth
- Projector needs to be arranged
- Appropriate format must be decided upon
- Suitable software must be found and tested in advance. Two possible applications for MacMahon tournaments are OpenGotha and GoDraw
- Determine issues such
- Handicaps - MMS-2 is common but not mandatory
- Handicaps - is there a handicap limit (e.g. 9 stones)
- Will there be handicaps if above bar players play below bar players
- Be wary of the MMS base (some systems use the bar as the zero point for MMS, some use 30k - this can affect prizes that perform calculations based on MMS)
- Obtain a list from the membership secretary as to who is a paid up member of SAGA
- Visit the venue in advance to determine an optimal configuration of administration and player areas
- Determine what rules to use - both the game rules (e.g. Japanese) and tournament rules (time considerations etc)
- consider distributing the rules in advance to participants, if possible.
- Obtain sufficient equipment for the participants (boards, sets, clocks), with some margin for late entries
On The Day
- Critical - must appoint a dedicated person as the tournament treasurer. This person should NOT have any other duties, as distractions are risky. Typically quite a large amount of money is involved, as SAGA renewals are typically taken at this time (R2000+)
- Appoint representative(s) to take registration and fees - this person will need to cross check the membership list
- Appoint an arbitration committee (3 senior players) to help with rules disputes
- Make the rules available